Legal Counsel Role – Dentsu
Dentsu’s legal team is looking to hire an NQ-2 PQE lawyer to support Dentsu’s business in the UK and Ireland.
Dentsu is looking to recruit a proactive lawyer to be based in either London, Manchester or Leeds who would be dedicated to supporting Dentsu’s business in the UK. This is an exciting time for Dentsu and the legal function is highly regarded and seen as key to the company’s success.
The individual will be part of the UK legal team staff headed by the General Counsel for the UK and Ireland. The UK team is part of a close-knit global team headed by the Group General Counsel who strongly promotes professional development and the value of lawyers within the company. The individual will work within a team of other talented lawyers.
This is a very hands-on role with the individual assisting with all aspects of legal work on behalf of Dentsu.
It is vital that the individual will be capable of working independently and will be highly proactive. Communication and negotiation skills are very important given regular interaction with internal and external clients/stakeholders at senior levels. They will be relied upon to communicate effectively and efficiently to both legal and non-legal senior management.
Core work will involve drafting and negotiating commercial contracts with major brands, influencers, media owners and suppliers in relation to all aspects of traditional and digital media strategy, planning and buying, together with digital creative production, as well as rolling out new systems and processes for a rapidly growing business.
You will support commercial activities for company’s iconic client brands such as Coca Cola, Mini, Jaguar Land Rover, Eurostar, Estée Lauder, P&G, Philips, Microsoft, Mastercard, Intel, HBO, Adidas, Footlocker and Porsche to name a few.
The purpose of this role is to help deliver, manage and support legal work required to related to at a junior level of ability within Dentsu. The key legal matters and/or areas of work encountered will vary but primarily include:
- Provides legal advice to stakeholders at various levels of the organisation on relevant subjects to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements and the protection of Dentsu’s commercial interests.
- Drafts, negotiates and advises on commercial agreements (experience with media and advertising agreements is a plus). This includes being able to provide contract interpretation advice and efficiently and clearly distinguish between critical and less critical risks.
- Delivers adequate legal support (templates, advice, risk management, subject matter knowledge) to accelerate and underpin the expansion of company strategy and deployment of new commercial initiatives.
- Provides legal support on various matters to commercial teams in contractual negotiations to achieve the most advantageous and/or beneficial legal and commercial terms for Dentsu.
- Assists in developing and delivering training and legal risk management initiatives to senior management in managing legal risks (e.g. business training, legal updates, etc) including contract compliance.
- Helps to implement best-practices in compliance, contracts management, intellectual property, data protection, IT, litigation and/or M&A (depending on the candidate’s previous experience and preferences).
The Legal Counsel will be an integral member of the legal team and have primary responsibility for delivering support and assistance to Dentsu in the UK.
This is a hands-on, autonomous and highly visible role within the business and the individual will work on a range of diverse and challenging projects.
Therefore, the ideal candidate must:
- be commercially-minded and have excellent communication, influencing and inter-personal skills to enable them to confidently work with all levels of management and negotiate with external clients;
- possess well-developed prioritisation skills given the likelihood of dealing with multiple projects at any one time;
- have exceptional analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to think strategically and provide sound business advice;
- be able to work autonomously with excellent written, organisation and IT skills;
- be able to work well under pressure and able to professionally manage through fast-moving and complex situations;
- be able to take initiative and be proactive on addressing new matters or challenges; and
- have a pleasant but firm personality and be able to work in a cross-cultural environment, including having a collaborative mindset and being able to enable close partnerships with other legal and finance experts across the business.
What you can expect
- A legal role within a reputable global company
- Growth and development as legal counsel in an exciting growing sector
- Competitive package
- Being part of a collegiate and friendly team
- Culture of fun and creativity within the business
- Flexible working and excellent work-life balance
Dentsu is a Top 5 global marketing agency group with a market capitalisation of USD 8.5 billion.
It works with 85 of the world’s 100 largest advertisers, partnering across creative, media and customer experience.
The company has over 120 year history and operates in 145 markets. It employs around 50,000 people globally.
Dentsu is made up of six leadership brands:
- dentsu X,
and is supported by its specialist brands.
Dentsu helps clients to win, keep and grow their best customers and achieve meaningful progress for their businesses.
When you join Dentsu, you’re becoming part of a 40,000-strong team. A team with diverse talents in media, creative content and technology. And one with a shared ambition: to innovate the way brands are built.
Dentsu’s collaborative and agile ways of working means you’ll develop versatile skills and be exposed to new and exciting thinking. Combine that with a pioneering spirit aimed at making a positive impact on brands, society and each other – and you’ll soon realise why Dentsu are at the forefront of the digital economy.
“Together we make our mark. Together we embrace the true potential of disruption. And together – across 145 countries – we help our clients win in a changing world. If you want to belong to a one global network where opportunities are limitless – we look forward to welcoming you”, says Dentsu.
Dentsu CEO interview from early 2021
The changes she talks about have since been implemented, boosting further success of the business.
People and Culture
Dentsu has an exceptionally supportive and collaborative corporate culture that helps people thrive. Quality of people is outstanding – the organisation is very selective. There is a strong focus around culture, integrity and respect for the individual. The atmosphere is trusting and empowering.
Dentsu’s London Office
Click here to view the office from inside.
Dentsu as a Family Centric Employer
For the third consecutive year, dentsu has been named as a Top 30 UK Employer for Working Families.
Dentsu was the only marketing services agency to be included in the list.
Dentsu to be Net Zero Emissions company by 2030
Dentsu has committed to become a Net Zero emissions business by 2030. Dentsu became one of the first companies in the world to have its net-zero target validated by the globally recognised Science Based Targets initiative.
The company has hit its carbon reduction target one year early, reducing emissions per full time employee by 43% since 2015.
This significant cut in emissions was enabled in part by Dentsu’s switch to 100% renewable electricity across its operations worldwide, a first among the global big-six advertising holding companies.
In-House Tech Legal Recruiter
Director, Found Legal