Learn how we match great lawyers with top in-house legal teams in tech.
Success Stories is a regular series all about the talent our clients hire via Found Legal and how we make this happen.
New here? Found Legal is a recruitment agency that helps in-house legal teams in tech hire outstanding lawyers.
Editor’s note: Some customers prefer not to be named, so we have purposefully removed their company name in this article. We are their secret weapon. 🙂
What does the employer’s business do?
Our client is a well-known multinational technology corporation headquartered in the US. The company’s hardware, software and services are used daily by households and offices.
Who was hired and what was their role?
The team was looking to hire an experienced lawyer with experience supporting sales teams of IT vendor companies and Data Protection experience. Requirements included knowledge of commercial, contract and business law, as well as knowledge of data protection and privacy law, IP and antitrust law, experience with revenue recognition principles and significant direct experience negotiating complex business transactions.
The team needed a lawyer with fluency in English and Swedish and an ability to negotiate and draft contracts in both languages.
After a thorough search and selection process, Found Legal placed a Sweden-qualified 6 PQE technology lawyer.
The candidate was skilled in drafting complex high value commercial contracts including software licensing / SaaS agreements, negotiating strategic deals with leading technology companies, had good knowledge of EU Competition law, IP law and EU Data Protection law with particular regard to GDPR requirements, transfer of personal data and negotiating data processing agreements.
- Draft, negotiate and process contracts with enterprise customers: direct sale, RFP / RFIs, resale, nondisclosure, software license/sublicense, evaluation, cloud contracts, SaaS, flexible consumption models, dispute settlements and alliance agreements.
- Responsibility for named customers accounts within Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Norway.
- Provide advice and contract interpretation to senior management on the provisions of specific agreements as well as legal issues that might impact the business
- Secure proper approval on nonstandard legal, financial, technical and business issues raised in contract documents
- Review, analyse and maintain standard contracts and other business documents
- Participate on and lead departmental and cross-functional process improvement teams
What was the candidate’s background before being hired?
The candidate was an 8+ PQE lawyer who initially trained and worked in private practice with subsequent in-house experience at a SaaS company supporting sales of technology products and services to enterprise level customers.
How successful was this placement long term?
The new team member started in their role in June 2019.
As of today, they are still employed by the business (as are 99% of lawyers we have placed), having been promoted to a more senior role.