In-house salaries in tech are currently almost on par with salaries in law firms, especially at junior to mid level roles.
But what about the benefits?
There is so much more to an in-house package than a salary and a bonus.
Here is a typical list of the benefits you would be entitles to as in-house counsel at a major global technology company:
Annual leave, holidays and days off
- 5 weeks of annual leave (may vary from country to country)
- Your birthday off
- Around 5 days per year off company wide as “Day for Me”
- Around 5 days a year off at manager’s discretion
- 1 week of paid charity work
- Buy 1 week of leave per year
- (So potentially 8-9 weeks off work per year if you need your balance)
Insurance and income protection
- Life insurance (x 4 annual salary)
- Income Protection – Long Term Disability Benefit: 75% of base salary will be paid to protect you and your family should an accident or illness prevent you from working until you either return to work, resign, reach pension age or pass away.
- Global Travel emergency cover – including travel for pleasure – for you and your dependents: 24-Hour Emergency Assistance (referrals to a doctor who speaks your language, an outpatient medical expense guarantee, repatriation, interpreters, lost document assistance, security evacuation).
- Employee Stock Purchase plan – opportunity to buy stock at 15% discount (which you can then sell)
Healthcare and fitness
- Private Health cover for you and family members (spouse, partner, children, parents, step parents and spouse’s biological parents / step parents)
- Enhanced Mental Health cover
- Dental insurance for you and family members (spouse, partner, children, parents, step parents and spouse’s biological parents / step parents)
- Eye test and glasses up to £130 per year
- Access to a Doctor video consultation 24/7 365
- Health assessment every two years
- Expert Medical Opinion – independent expert advice for serious health issues available to you and family members (spouse, partner, children, parents, step parents and spouse’s biological parents / step parents).
- Occupational Health assessment and advice
- Employee & Family Assistance – up to 8 mental health counselling sessions per person including partner and dependents (spouse, partner, children, parents, step parents and spouse’s biological parents / step parents).
- Discount gym membership
- Give as You Earn (support your chosen charity)
- 5 paid days per year that you can use to support your chosen cause (a charity, local community or simply your kid’s school where you can help out)
- Baby Gift for a new baby
- Employee Discount Program – saving available on almost all brands – including gadgets; Cinema & Theme Park tickets with up to 55% off; everyday savings – shopping cards or e-codes at Amazon, Starbucks etc. For you and up to 10 family members or friends.
- Back Up Care (2 weeks a year) – in-home or nursery care when your regular child / adult dependants care arrangements are not available. Examples of this could be that your nanny or child carer is unable to look after your children, you have an unexpected work meeting you have to attend on a day you don’t usually work, or your parent is due to be discharged from hospital and they require some additional support around the house.
- Cycle to work scheme (buy a bike)
- Season ticket loans
- Company car allowance (typically for more senior grades)
- Personal development plan that you set up together with your manager and review twice a year
- Personal mentor with coaching sessions once a month
- Yearly budget for your training – choose what you want to learn to further develop in your profession
- New Lawyer’s Academy for all new joiners of legal department in a given year
- Legal Get Together – learning and fun event with your EMEA legal colleagues – one week long twice a year in a new location
- Training by subject matter experts (contracting, IP, data protection etc) – every 1-2 weeks
- Non legal training (for example soft skills development or language courses)
- Leadership training
Regular salary reviews
Every year your salary will be reviewed; with progression through the grades your bonus also grows, as well as pension.
International mobility and relocation
- Opportunities to work from other offices across the world several weeks a year
- Opportunities to relocate to countries of your choice.
Imagine working from Milan, Madrid or Barcelona for a month every summer?.. Or even relocating somewhere you love in the future – when you work for a major multinational with offices globally, this is easily achievable.
These examples above are exactly the type of benefits most lawyers get when hired by our clients, global technology companies.
If you are a commercial lawyer thinking of an in-house role in tech, feel free to get in touch for a confidential discussion.