Senior Legal Counsel
Senior Legal Counsel Role
Location: London, hybrid – office presence 1 day a week
Dentsu Dentsu is a network of 6 leadership agencies, covering three specialist areas:
- Creative and
- Customer Experience Management (CXM).
Dentsu’s legal team is looking to hire an experienced lawyer to be based in London who would be dedicated to supporting dentsu’s business in the UK.
The UK team is part of a close-knit global team headed by the Group General Counsel who strongly promotes professional development and the value of lawyers within the company.
This is a senior autonomous commercial legal role, so it is vital that the individual will be capable of working independently and will be highly proactive.
Communication and negotiation skills are very important given regular interaction with internal and external clients/stakeholders at senior levels.
They will be relied upon to communicate effectively and efficiently to both legal and non-legal senior management.
Core work will involve drafting and negotiating commercial contracts with clients, media owners and suppliers in relation to all aspects of traditional and digital media strategy, planning and buying, together with digital creative production and event management. There is also a need to manage rolling out new systems and processes for a rapidly growing business. The role manages three contract managers.
The Senior Legal Counsel will be an integral member of the legal team and have primary responsibility for delivering support and assistance to dentsu in the UK.
This is a hands-on, autonomous and highly visible role within the business and the individual will work on a range of diverse and challenging projects.
The purpose of this varied role is to deliver, manage and support legal work required at a senior level of ability within dentsu.
The key legal matters and/or areas of work encountered will primarily include:
- Provide legal and strategic advice to stakeholders at various levels of the organisation (including executive-level boards and committees) on relevant subjects to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory
requirements and protection of Dentsu’s commercial interests.
- Draft, negotiate and advise on complex commercial agreements.
- Provide legal support (templates, advice, risk management, subject matter knowledge) to accelerate and underpin the expansion of company strategy.
- Provide legal support on various matters to commercial teams in contractual negotiations to achieve the most advantageous and/or beneficial legal and commercial terms for Dentsu.
- Develop and deliver training and legal risk management initiatives to senior management to strategically manage legal risks (e.g. business training, legal updates, etc.).
- Implement best-practices in compliance, contracts management, intellectual property, data privacy, IT, litigation and/or M&A (as appropriate, having regard to the Senior Legal Counsel’s specialist area).
- Deliver cost-effective handling of existing litigation and disputes to Dentsu’s best interests, including timely and accurate reporting.
- Responsibility for managing and developing junior lawyers.
- People leadership: being a key driver of business performance and culture by acting as a role model and applying people leader accountabilities to create an engaging employee experience for the team that inspires people to be the best they can be and supports them in executing dentsu’s collective business vision and achieving their business goals.
- Responsibility for managing and developing junior lawyers and three contract managers.
The ideal candidate is required to:
- be commercially-minded and have excellent communication, influencing and inter-personal skills to enable them to confidently work with all levels of management and negotiate with external clients;
- demonstrate leadership skills and the ability to manage and develop junior members of the team;
- possess well-developed prioritisation skills given the likelihood of dealing with multiple projects at any one time;
- have exceptional analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to think strategically and provide sound business advice;
- be able to work autonomously with excellent written, organisation and IT skills;
- be able to work well under pressure and able to professionally manage through fast-moving and complex situations;
- be able to take initiative and be proactive on addressing new matters or challenges; and
- have a pleasant but firm personality and be able to work in a cross-cultural environment, including having a collaborative mindset and being able to enable close partnerships with other legal and finance experts across the business.
What you can expect
- A senior legal role within a reputable global company
- Excellent name for your CV
- Competitive package
- Flexible working and excellent work-life balance supported and promoted by everyone at Dentsu
Dentsu is the 5th largest global marketing agency group with a market capitalisation of USD 8.5 billion.
It works with 85 of the world’s 100 largest advertisers, partnering across creative, media and customer experience.
The company has over 120 year history and operates in 145 markets. It employs around 50,000 people globally.
Dentsu is made up of six leadership brands:
- dentsu X,
and is supported by its specialist brands.
Dentsu helps clients to win, keep and grow their best customers and achieve meaningful progress for their businesses.
Dentsu as a Family Centric Employer
For the third consecutive year, dentsu has been named as a Top 30 UK Employer for Working Families.
Employers were assessed on four key areas of their flexible and family-friendly policies and practices that specifically support mothers, fathers, and carers.
Dentsu was the only marketing services agency to be included in the list.
Anne Stagg, CEO, CXM / Merkle and Executive Chair of the Parents and Carers Committee:
“Juggling work and home is always a delicate balance but <…> this year has been a lot for our teams to manage.
We wanted people to know dentsu is here to support and help them in whatever way we can.
We set up regular drop in groups and had huge attendance sharing our experiences. The ideas shared helped us evolve how we support people from flexible working or time off, to not arranging meetings over school pick up and drops off.
Many of the changes we made are now being incorporated into our future ways of working and I’m excited to be part of the team ensuring we lead the way as a family friendly employer for many years to come!”
Interviews with Dentsu’s CEO Wendy Clark
The interview was recorded 2 years ago, so the work that Wendy talks about has been completed – but the interview gives a good idea of the leaders’ personality and culture at dentsu and its goals.
Another chat with Wendy – if you are really curious 🙂
People and Culture
Dentsu has an exceptionally supportive and collaborative corporate culture that helps people thrive. Quality of people is outstanding – the organisation is very selective. There is a strong focus around culture, integrity and respect for the individual – the atmosphere is trusting and empowering.
Dentsu’s London Office
Click here to view the office from inside.
Dentsu to be Net Zero Emissions company by 2030
Dentsu has committed to become a Net Zero emissions business by 2030. Dentsu became one of the first companies in the world to have its net-zero target validated by the globally recognised Science Based Targets initiative.
The commitment includes a new science-based target to reduce absolute carbon emissions by 46% and offset all unavoidable emissions through certified greenhouse gas removal projects by 2030.
The Net Zero target builds on the significant reductions in carbon emissions already achieved by dentsu. The company has hit its carbon reduction target one year early, reducing emissions per full time employee by 43% since 2015. This significant cut in emissions was enabled in part by dentsu’s switch to 100% renewable electricity across its operations worldwide, a first among the global big-six advertising holding companies.
In-House Tech Legal Recruiter
Director, Found Legal