Learn how we match great lawyers with top in-house legal teams in tech.
Success Stories is a regular series all about the talent our clients hire via Found Legal and how we make this happen.
New here? Found Legal is a recruitment agency that helps in-house legal teams in tech hire outstanding lawyers.
What does the employer’s business do?
Our client is one of the biggest technology companies in the world. The company’s hardware, software and services are used daily by households and offices.
Who was hired and what was their role?
EMEA GC, who the role reported to, was keen to see experience supporting sales of technology products and services to enterprise level customers.
Of importance was also knowledge of commercial, contract and business law, knowledge of data protection and privacy law, IP and antitrust law, experience with revenue recognition principles. and direct experience negotiating complex business transactions.
Since the role supported clients headquartered in France, the negotiations mostly ran in French. The law of the contracts was England and Wales. For this reason the lawyer needed to be fluent in English and French with the ability to draft and negotiate in both languages
After a thorough search and selection process Found Legal placed a 5+ PQE bilingual lawyer, trained in private practice, with in-house experience in a commercial legal role.
- Draft, negotiate and process contracts with enterprise customers: direct sale, RFP / RFIs, resale, nondisclosure, software license/sublicense, evaluation, cloud contracts, XaaS, flexible consumption models, dispute settlements and alliance agreements
- Responsibility for named customers accounts headquartered in France with operations in EMEA and the Americas
- Provide advice and contract interpretation to senior management on the provisions of specific agreements as well as legal issues that might impact the business
- Secure proper approval on nonstandard legal, financial, technical and business issues raised in contract documents
- Review, analyse and maintain standard contracts and other business documents
- Participate on and lead departmental and cross-functional process improvement teams
What was the candidate’s background before being hired?
The candidate was a native French speaker and fully fluent in English, having lived for a year in Oxford (UK), and having visited the US for several weeks every year.
The candidate trained in international law firms in Paris and got admitted to the French Bar (CAPA) as a French lawyer.
Before qualifying the candidate worked as a trainee in IP and Technology departments of DLA Piper, Hogan Lovells and August & Debouzy.
Post qualification they worked in-house at an Internet company.
Experience included complex high value negotiations, drafting commercial / SaaS contracts as well as data privacy matters, pre-litigation and litigation.
How successful was this placement long term?
The new team member started in their role in early 2019.
They immediately confirmed their reputation as a strong commercial lawyer able to successfully work with a driven sales team handling a variety of stakeholders within this complex multinational organisation.
The candidate has seen been promoted several times, recently moved into the role of a Lead lawyer within a different clients vertical and is working closely with the company’s senior management.
As of today, they are still gainfully employed by the business (as are 99% of lawyers we have placed).